Contrary to popular believe, home health care services are not for senior citizens only. Instead, home care assistance is meant to help people in need of chronic, rehabilitative, preventative, and short or long-term health care. In simple terms, home care allows patients to receive quality medical attention without leaving their homes. The services afforded can be as simple as running errands and assisting with a bath or something as involving as the infusion of antibiotics.
Thanks to home health care, patients can receive treatment in the comfortable and familiar environment of their homes. According to studies, this is one of the reasons why home care patients are more independent than hospital-based patients, with the support of their loved ones being the other. Patients usually receive home health care services under the direction of a physician. However, a coordinated team of professionals is almost always responsible for the delivery of these services. In most cases, this team will include professional health care practitioners like registered nurses, social workers, licensed practical nurses, and therapists. Check out BrightStar Care if you would like to learn more information.
Many Medicare-certified and state-licensed home care agencies will offer the following:
• Nursing care treatments provided by well-trained and registered nurses. The nurses are also responsible for developing a comprehensive plan of care.
• Help with everyday tasks like bathing and routine medication. However, home health aides can only provide the needed support under the supervision of a registered nurse.
• Speech therapy, aimed at resolving swallowing and speech problems. Some of these can be the result of health conditions like stroke.
• Guidance back to the routines associated with normal life. Occupational therapists provide patients with instructions and advice on proper self-care as well as how to use adaptive equipment and live with disabilities.
• Therapeutic treatments to relieve joint and muscle pain, restore muscle function, improve gait and enhance mobility. Physical therapists will provide instructions and advice on the most effective exercises.
• Medical social workers provide case management and counseling services. In addition, these professionals will ensure patients and their families identify suitable community services.
The advantages of home care
Apart from being one of the most cost-effective health care solutions for the elderly, home care assistance provides many benefits including:
• An environment that supports the healing process by helping to prevent infections.
• Improved quality of life, which contributes to an extend lifespan.
• It allows patients to maintain their independence, which helps to postpone if not eliminate the need for institutionalization.
• It keeps families together, strengthening the existing bonds.
Today, patients recovering from chronic illnesses, acute injuries, or surgery prefer home care assistance to nursing or hospital care. In fact, statistics show that apart from reducing the cost associated with medical care, home health care services have increased the rate of recovery and reduced the number of hospital admissions.